Running VST instrument in Ardour

21 replies [Last post]
jamesbirkbeck
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline
I have spent hours reading posts that are supposed to answer this, but so far, no luck.
I just installed Ubuntu and Ardour yesterday, and would like to use it to run VST instruments, such as this Wolpertinger distrho thing.
So I downloaded the archived folder and untarred (I think that's the jargon) it, but I still cannot figure out what the heck I am supposed to do with the contents of the folder now that it is "untarred".
The instructions in the Ardour manual mention something about a usr/lib/lv2 folder or such, but there wasn't one. So I tried to create one in the lib location but was told I don't have permission to do that.
Could somebody please give me step by step instructions? Thank you.

LeatusPenguin
User offline. Last seen 4 days 5 hours ago. Offline
If you are running a Ubuntu or Debian based system, you can add the KXStudio repositories. Details on how to do can be found here -

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Repositories

If you do this, Wolpertinger, and many other plugins/virtual instruments will be available from your package manager.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 39 min ago. Offline
Yes, Paul. I did. It says to put the plug-ins into folders that do not exist in my lib directory, nor can I create said folders due to not having permission to do so.
Thank you, LeatusPenguin. I will try the KXStudio repositories.

jamesbirkbeck
"LADSPA plugins are shared library files. They need to be installed in either /usr/lib/ladspa, /usr/local/lib/ladspa or in a directory mentioned in your LADSPA_PATH environment variable."
None of those directories exist. Also, I have no idea what the LADSPA_PATH environment is, nor where to find it.

"LV2 plugins are folders/directories. They need to installed in either /usr/lib/lv2, /usr/local/lib/lv2 or a directory mentioned in your LV2_PATH environment variable."
No such directories exist. And again, I don't know what an LV2_PATH environment variable is, or where to find it.

"Linux VST (LXVST) plugins are distributed as shared library files. They are typically installed in /usr/lib/lxvst, /usr/local/lib/lxvst or a directory mentioned in your LXVST_PATH environment variable."
No directories. Don't know what LXVST_PATH environment variable is.

jamesbirkbeck
This is my scenario:
1. I downloaded a file called "wolpertinger_linux64_20120518.7z"
2. I extracted it into the downloads folder, so now there is a folder called "wolpertinger_linux64" sitting inside the downloads folder.
3. This folder contains a folder called "lv2", a folder called "standalone", and a folder called "vst".
4. The "lv2" folder contains a folder called "Wolpertinger.lv2".
5. Inside "Wolpertinger.lv2", three documents can be found: "manifest.ttl", "Wolpertinger.so", and "Wolpertinger.ttl".

If I understand the instructions in the Ardour manual correctly, the "Wolpertinger.lv2" folder is supposed to be copied into a folder in my usr/lib directory, by the name of "lv2".
So. I try the following:
1. I click on a filing cabinet icon on the upper left hand side of my screen, which opens up an explorer type of window.
2. I click on where it says "Computer" under a list of "Devices" in the left panel of the window.
3. I navigate to the "usr" folder.
4. I navigate to the "lib" folder.
5. I look for a directory called "lv2" inside this "lib" folder. It is not there. Nor are there any directories called lxvst, or ladspa, or anything of the sort.

I thought perhaps I had to create these directories myself, seeing as they do not exist. But that plan was thwarted when I received a message telling me that I do not have permission to create a folder in the lib directory.

So, my question is, where am I going wrong in following the manual's instructions?

jamesbirkbeck
LeatusPenguin, I went to the page you linked to, but I cannot figure out where I download the KXStudio repositories.
(A repository being a place where things are stored).
I went to the downloads page, thinking maybe the repositories would be there, but all I found were files called Cadence, Clara, and Festige for download. Are these the so-called "repositories" I seek?
Thank you.

jamesbirkbeck
This is what I want to accomplish:
Over the past 20 years or so, I have been using PCs and Macs to run music composition software, including Logic, Cakewalk, Ableton Live, Cubase, etc. I currently run Mixcraft 6 on my Windows HP laptop.
I use it to record audio such as guitar and vocals, and I also use it to create midi tracks with virtual synths and so on.
And that is exactly what I would like to do in Ubuntu, as well.
Someone suggested that I should probably have installed a multimedia version of Ubuntu that is specifically geared for creating music and video and whatnot. However, this one is installed now, so I am trying to make the best of it.

LeatusPenguin
You don't download any software from the page itself. When you go to your package manager/software centre and install software from there, you are downloading software from your distros (remote) software repository. If you follow the instructions on the page i linked to, it will update your package managers repository to include much more, and newer, software than your stock distro will have. You will then be able to find Wolpertinger, and a lot more, from your package manager.

LeatusPenguin
You mentioned that you are using Ubuntu. If you do add the KXStudio repositories you will have access to a lot more than what stock Ubuntu has to offer. The two distros i would recommend for audio work are AV Linux and KXStudio. KXStudio is based on Ubuntu though so if you add their repositories, you will have access to all of what that distro has to offer.

jamesbirkbeck
Ok. So I looked at the page you linked me to, and in the Ubuntu section, I assume I copy and paste the lines of code that into a terminal. Is that correct?
Because I have done that.
Now what happens?
I opened up the Ubuntu Software Centre - the folder with the orange shopping bag icon on the left of my screen - and tried to find KXStudio in it. I couldn't find it.
Thank you for your patience. I'm getting older, and it's not as easy to learn new things as it used to be.

jamesbirkbeck
I searched the Software Centre, and I found the wolpertinger thing, so I installed it by clicking the install button.
Now... how do I access it as a virtual instrument in Ardour?
Thanks.

jamesbirkbeck
I have Ardour open, and I go to the "Track" menu and select "Add track or bus". There is a field called "Instrument", with a drop down menu. The only thing in the list is "Reasonable Synth". How do I access the plug-in I just installed?

LeatusPenguin
That's odd. If you add an empty midi track and go to add a plugin to it via the plugin manager, does Wolpertinger show up there?

jamesbirkbeck
Where is the plug-in manager? I tried reading the manual, but the page titled "Plug-in Manager" is blank.

LeatusPenguin
Pressing Alt+M will show up the mixer window. You can right click in the processor box there -

http://manual.ardour.org/ardours-interface/

Navigate to New Plugin > Plugin Manager

jamesbirkbeck
Ok. Yes. I found it in there.
I had to restart Ardour.

I seem to have another issue, if you wouldn't mind helping me out with it...
How do I use my M-Audio KeyStudio as a midi-controller?
Thank you

LeatusPenguin
Go to your package manager and find "a2jmidid". When that is installed you will have to run, from the terminal, the command -

a2jmidid -e

This should expose your midi keyboard as an input. In the mixer window, left click the button below the track name. The tracks name should be called "Midi" by default, unless you named it otherwise. You should find your keyboard under one of the tabs.

LeatusPenguin
Note that the functionality of a2jmidid is built in to newer versions of Jack 1 and some audio distros have the command run by default along with qjackctl when it starts up.

jamesbirkbeck
I assume I have to keep the terminal window open the entire time I intend to run Ardour with my KeyStudio, because when I attempt to close the terminal it says that a process is using it.

Thanks very much indeed for your help. :)
Have a great day!

LeatusPenguin
You could use -

nohup a2jmidid -e

You will be able to close the terminal this way and still have the process running in the background.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 39 min ago. Offline
You can also start a2jmidid from inside qjackctl.