Trancribing Jazz Solos, slow down

8 replies [Last post]
JasoonS
JasoonS's picture
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi,
I was hoping someone could tell me of a way to use Ardour to help me trancribe jazz solos by slowing down a clip. This needs to be done without changing the pitch and needs to be done real time non-destructively (I saw that there is a tempo adjusting tool but it has to process and rewrite the hole file first to take effect).

I do hope that this is possible!

Advice much appreciated,
Jason

CraigPid
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
If you load your file into Audacity there is an effect of that nature. I think it's just listed as Tempo in the effects menu. And you can preserve the pitch. I'm not sure about real time and you do have to process the file but I would just save it with a new name or don't save it at all and just use it within Audacity.

veda_sticks
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline
Im sure there must be a plugin that does this,

but i know of another program that will do it.

MIXX - its a Dj program and it will speed up and slow down a song and also has an option to preserve the pitch

ssj71
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
A plugin to do this would need to allocate memory on the fly as the plugin wouldn't really be aware of how long the sample is and needs to store the input until it is to be played later. I suppose its possible, but not very practical. I have done transcribing (Rosolino solos) with audacity. Its a more appropriate tool for this. You can't change how much it slows it down on the fly, but I usually make a 1/2 tempo and 3/4 tempo version and between them can figure it out.

Edward Diehl
User offline. Last seen 1 day 17 hours ago. Offline
There are a number of standalone programs to do this on linux, see this for examples: http://ifdeflinux.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-slow-down-guitar-solo-with-free.html Google will give you more.

ahellquist
User offline. Last seen 3 days 17 hours ago. Offline
I use ardour for this purpose. I select a region or part of region and make a region to region list. Then I create a few new tracks where I drop the difficult solo I need to learn. I stretch each region different while preserving pitch.
I solo the most stretched one and start practice or analyze and then move towards the original in stretched track.

ssj71
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
I forgot ardour has time stretching. Excellent solution.

spock
spock's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 16 hours ago. Offline
VLC slows down or speeds up (preserving pitch) any media file (music or video) by simply pressing + or - during playback.

http://www.videolan.org/

veda_sticks
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline
Theres also pauls extreme times stretch though that is intended for extreme stretching. pretty cool thoug