Comping?

Found these instructions for comping post a little while ago. Problem is I’ve followed them and they don’t seem to work. Play loop range works find when I’m not recording, however when I am recording, the take starts at the beginning of the loop, but doesn’t repeat, just keeps on going?

1. Add track, right click on it and set layers to stacked (this is when using Ardour 3)
  2. Arm track
  3. Set a loop range
  4. Press record
  5. Press “play loop range”
  6. Play your take, let it loop and record again until you get a good take

As far as i know this does not work in ardour. Someone else posted asking a similar question about recording while looping and got the same response that this isnt an intended function of ardour.

Ardour wont allow you to loop while recording however maybe this should be a feature request as it would be handy to be able to take multiple takes 1 after the other and then select the best take.

there is though a slight problem and thats the regions list which is a bit of a mess.

As far as i know this does not work in ardour. Someone else posted asking a similar question about recording while looping and got the same response that this isnt an intended function of ardour.

Ardour wont allow you to loop while recording however maybe this should be a feature request as it would be handy to be able to take multiple takes 1 after the other and then select the best take.

there is though a slight problem and thats the regions list which is a bit of a mess.

You can “looprecord” but all “regions” are still getting own timestamp!
So if you record one bar looped for 4 times, you get not same timestamp. all regions are still “chained” in time.

if one bar=1 sec x 4 takes
then:
first take 0 to 1 sec
sec take 1 to 2 sec and so on
so first take is first on timeline inside the track and next to it is second take and so on.

All regions are layered (you see one region over all others) and yes, in region list you can choose what take you want to “comp in”
Give your tracks clear names, and “comp” it with region list.
Or make 5 tracks for guitar and record takes in 5 tracks.
Set Punch in and out points. Arm guitar track one and punch your take.
Then arm guitar track two and so on.
But you have to start every take (recording) manualy.