Ardour3 Feedback Loop

Today I messed around with jack-dbus and pulseaudio. In the end it didn’t work out the way I wanted, so I reverted everything. I don’t know if that was related, but now every time I pause the playback in Ardour 3 (on Arch Linux using Jack2), there seems to be a strange feedback loop.

Because the problem is hard to explain, I prepared a short Youtube video:

Does someone know this problem? Is it a configuration problem with Ardour or my project? Or might this be a bug? Everything worked fine when I last used Ardour a few days ago.

It reminds me of a problem that I had with Ardour 3 on a Ubuntu 12.04 system which I normally do not use for audio work (only when I’m too lazy to start KXStudio or TangoStudio): it was definitely a problem of Ubuntu. I had to eliminate the audio connection between sound card and Ardour’s track input(s) manually to get things work again. (Sometime ago after an Update the problem disappeared.)

So maybe Arch messes things up a little bit on your system and sets up some useless connections which you can locate in JACK. You might check it better if you use Patchage to manage JACK’s connections: http://drobilla.net/software/patchage/ - this is a comfortable little piece of software :-).
So you might open Patchage and Ardour, switch Ardour from Stop to Play and back to Stop again etc. and watch if there is something wrong happening in Patchage…

If this should not help - maybe you can find something out by experimenting with the meter position of the tracks in Ardour’s mixer (in - pre fader - post fader) to find out where the feedback connection is…

Michael

I’m sorry that I didn’t answer earlier, but after I tried again (there was probably a reboot in between, not sure about any package updates) the problem didn’t occur anymore.