Minneapolis Post-Rock

Hi Everybody!

I recently purchased an audio interface and began working with Ardour on recording some of my music. If you’re into punk, rock, indie, etc., then feel free to check out what I’ve been working on.

http://withhh.bandcamp.com/releases

Like it too here! My favourite was Try.

Great!
I like the dry sound and the band feeling, please share some information from the recording of the tracks, live drums?, amp’ed or direct guitars, which pedals ect. Did you do all the playing?
Thanks,
Christian

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I did all the playing on this. The drums were done live.

Here’s the breakdown of the equipment used:

Recording Gear:
Ardour running on Arch Linux with real-time kernel
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface
Calf LV2 plugins for reverb, compression, EQ, etc.

Drums (No toms, other trinkets. Basic kit.):
Kick (miced with an SM-57)
Piccollo snare (I hate this snare) (miced with an SM-57)
Zildjian 13" hi-hats
Istanbul Agop Alchemy 20" Power-X crash (cymbals miced with an SM-58 overhead)

Guitars/Amps:
Mesa Boogie MKIIb for most guitar parts (miced with an SM-94)
Some crappy Yamaha combo for certain other guitars and the bass guitar (same mic as above)
A no-name telecaster copy for the guitar
And an Ibanez bass guitar
No pedals, just the overdrive/reverb built into the amps

I think that about covers it.

1 Like

I forgot to mention, there are no effects applied to the Mesa guitar parts. They are as-is from the amp. The Calf effects were applied to most other tracks, though.

I enjoyed this a lot! Thanks for sharing and great work.

“Walk” is my favorite!
How about adding a lead vocal?
Regarding EQ - have you tried the “reference track” trick? Importing your favorite song/band with a equal setup (guitar, bass and drums) and then try to match the EQ and compression levels. If you could get that Steve Albini - sound, it would really shine…

“Walk” is my favorite!
How about adding a lead vocal?
Regarding EQ - have you tried the “reference track” trick? Importing your favorite song/band with a equal setup (guitar, bass and drums) and then try to match the EQ and compression levels. If you could get that Steve Albini - sound, it would really shine…

I have thought about vocals, but I’ve always had a hard time with them. I may end up just leaving the songs as instrumentals. I kind of like the minimalist sound it creates.

That’s a good idea regarding a reference track. Could try matching it to, say, Shipping News’ “Flies the Fields” or something. I like how airy that recording is.

I liked both, but like others thought “Walk” was the best. It does feel like a whole band playing. Really like your feel.

I finished this project. Five songs total. The whole thing can be streamed at the URL below. If anyone is interested, it can be purchased on cassette with a free digital download card included for $4.50 shipped in the US. You can also get the straight digital download for $5, which is a worse deal. Keep the dead format alive.