One Button Record
Just got back from a vocal pre-production session were I have finally put Ardour 2rc1 through a real recording scenario. Here are some observations:
1. I could not find a way to punch-in a take using the keyboard. I may be missing something essential here, in Cubase pressing * will start recording at the playhead position.
2. Once I selected a ranged for punch-in/out and recorded I could not revert back to recording by pressing the record button on the transport.
3. Is it possible to have the region just recorded selected when you hit the stop button. Most times if you are recording ant the take is bad it is nice to just press stop (space bar), delete to delete the take. Pressing the space bar could put you straight back in playback or record.
4. After over 80 takes Ardour started acting strange, the drive started trashing and eventually the program exited. No session data was lost. I restarted again and the same thing happened again soon after.
5. I noticed that sometimes the waveform display will shift to the right by one or two pixels when shrinking a region.
6. The only way to delete a range is through the locations window, why not have a function on the right mouse button context menu of the range on the main window. Again did I miss something here.
Overall the system worked well, however the work flow is not as fast as Cubase in some instances and there seem to be stability issues still.