Updated Graphical EQ For Linux

Recently updated to V2.3.0 - some stuff for linux that works (as far as we can tell)

(Also available as Mac VST / Audio Unit, Windows VST and standalone JACK application for linux)

@anahata: If the one you have is already working fine for you then its entirely optional if you upgrade - I don’t know which version you have, but if its a ‘legacy’ linuxDSP version, then your activation key would not be valid for the new version. The original linuxDSP design had some limitations on filter parameters, which no longer apply to the new version, as the DSP was completely re-designed in order to permit full 20 - 20kHz filter ranges with correct equivalent analogue gain at Nyquist and decramped filter responses for all types (even at low sample rates). An activation code for the new version also covers Mac and Windows VST, for improved cross-platform session compatibility, and Mac AudioUnit for Logic Pro X compatibility.

@linuxdsp: Completely understand.

Are the details of the updates listed somewhere? In particular, if I am already using it (on AV Linux), should I upgrade, or are these only compatibility fixes for recent platform changes as hinted above?

Also is it a free upgrade i.e. will my existing license key work with this?

@linuxdsp: Thanks for your hard work!!!

@dsreyes1014: thanks - I hope it works well. There are some more feature additions planned for future updates soon, but as usual there’s a backlog of compatibility tweaks and testing for some other products to get through too (time once was that the OS / target device(s) would be reasonably stable for at least a few months, if not years - now there’s barely time to compile the code before another OS update / hardware upgrade, language, plugin API change, or quadrupling of the screen resolution etc mandates some kind of re-design :slight_smile:

@anahata: It seems to be working here on my arch box with the same license.

Perhaps its also worth explaining a little more about this plug-in, or the processes involved in making it too. When I designed this EQ I wondered what would happen if, rather than approach the design as a digital EQ, I designed the best analogue EQ I could, and then accurately modelled that digitally. The result is a plug-in, which I believe accurately models the desirable natural sound and filter behaviour of an analogue EQ, but without the limitations, and with all the convenience of a feature rich modern digital design. I’m not aware of anything else quite like this for linux at the present time. I hope people consider it was worth the trouble.

@linuxdsp is it possible to save and reload presets for this EQ?

The standalone JACK application can save and load settings to a (preset) file, and will of course remember the current settings next time its opened - the VST / VST3 / AudioUnit has factory presets and user defined preset memories, saving / loading these is entirely host dependent (for VST3 it is mandated as part of the VST3 specification that the host handle all preset loading and saving)

Thanks for clarification. I was irritated because I forgot that LV2 is LinuxDSP history.

..I was irritated because I forgot that LV2..
Its not specifically an LV2 issue (and existing 'legacy' LV2 products will continue to function - subject to host application / OS updates). Correctly implemented, preset handling should be provided by the host application (and optionally by the plug-in, though, as indicated, VST3 mandates that the host alone be responsible for this) Developing / testing / supporting LV2 on linux approximately (at a very conservative estimate) doubles the already significant cost of development and ongoing support. This is hard to justify given the other increasing external financial pressures on the proivision of (niche) digital products, and its already clear that there is no longer enough of a requirement for professional quality audio software from linux users alone to fund the cost of developing and support for a linux-only format. In addition, VST is now supported by almost all professional quality linux host applications.

In the finest traditions of linux software, there is now an even more recent release of this EQ available, in part to improve some minor UI issues, but also because it appears the wrong version was initially released.

It remains unclear exactly how this happened… but strangely, it’s almost as if someone was er… talking on their phone instead of concentrating on uploading the correct version to the cdn…

Free demo for Windows, Mac and Linux here: http://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/download/download_af210/

Great work!

We really need more plugins that model anologue gear!! and even better modeling anologue gear and adding features that can make them do things the real thing cant. Best of both worlds :slight_smile:

We really need more plugins that model anologue gear!! and even better modeling anologue gear and adding features that can make them do things the real thing cant...
Thanks... And we need more linux audio users to understand the value of it...
we need more linux audio users
I already use linux/overtoneDSP for everything they can do! About the only free plugin I use much is Steve Harris's fast lookahead limiter (and that's usually just to set a strictly defined final ceiling after an FC70 has done most of the work). Frankly, I don't trust anyone else's plugins - half the time I try any of the free ones it's a disaster.

There’s also this version - which is in development at the moment, and will be available to anyone who already has the original AF210 EQ plug-in. Includes the innovative analogue filter modelling algorithms used in the original plug-in, together with a range of professional metering options pre / post EQ

http://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/screenshots/gallery/AF210M-04.png

Looks nice with the extra metering. While we are on the subject of updates:

1. how about setting a different slope (it could be a dropdown box)? And,
  2. mid/side filters?
    Johan
how about setting a different slope..
You can already adjust the resonance of the filters, using the scroll wheel - I assume you're referring to the LPF and HPF filters specifically when you mention slope - it's all planned, but we have to develop / implement and test for at least five different plug-in formats / OS combinations at the moment (on Mac, in a completely different programming language too - so it's not exactly portable code). If we can get some significant interest from more users, then we may consider that it's worth committing extra resources to make these changes / additions happen faster. In the meantime we have to decide on a specific feature set to aim for at each incremental update (which we are making freely available to users of the original plug-in). The addition of the four professional meter options has already been a significant commitment. All this considered, I / we think it's still (one of - if not the) best - and most cost effective - EQ you can get for linux at the moment.

AF2-10 V2.3.1 is now available - linux users in particular should upgrade, as in addition to several feature and UI look and feel improvements this latest release removes an accidental (and complex) GUI vs DSP thread dependency in the linux VST version.

Other improvements include adding EQ bands by clicking on the 0dB line (x axis) and dragging - a new peak filter will be automatically added, the type can then be changed if required, using the normal filter selector menu.