Linux Questions from an OSX User

Hi Folks,

I’m returning to the world of audio production after some time away doing a “real job”.

In the past, I’ve worked primarily on OSX. I’d really like to give Ardour a try but I’m frustrated that the development of the OSX version is a bit lacking - in particular, that plugin settings aren’t saved. That’s a showstopper for me.

As a result I thought I’d dip my toe into the world of LInux audio but I’m a bit unclear as to where to begin. Any recommendations as to a suitable distro for running Ardour, the Calf plugins and the LV2Meter plugins?

Also, (and I realise this is a big question) what about hardware? I currently use an Edirol UA-101 but unfortunately it doesn’t work with ALSA. I’d like something that “just works” - any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

I'd like something that "just works"..
Unfortunately that's almost never true of anything on linux - in my opinion - even if it appears to be working initially (based on 10yrs+ experience with linux audio, as a software developer of various plug-ins etc, and still trying against the odds, to remain an enthusiastic user / supporter - but now one who does anything "mission critical" on a Mac)

AV Linux
M-Audio Delta 1010 or RME Multiface II.
Bothe need special cards slots - if you are using a laptop you’ll have to look for something USB.
RME kit generally works well with Linux.
Linuxdsp is right in that there is an almost infinite variety of combinations of lInux OS and PC (or other ) hardware, compared with the Mac world, but I think it’s fair to say that if a particular combination is found to work it will probably continue working.

In the past, I've worked primarily on OSX. I'd really like to give Ardour a try but I'm frustrated that the development of the OSX version is a bit lacking - in particular, that plugin settings aren't saved. That's a showstopper for me.

You do realize that the plugin settings not being saved is because you are using the free version right? They are saved fine in the full version, and the rc and nightlies of Ardour run great on OS X in my experience. Not trying to dissuade you from Linux, but in your situation I suspect strongly that a paid version of Ardour would be the best route for you.

Seablade

That being said, if going to Linux for most people my recomendations are as follows:

AVLinux
LinuxDSP Plugins
Harrison Plugins
C* Plugin Suite
A variety of other open source options
RME Hardware or hardware fully supported by FFADO or ALSA (ie. I have an RME HDSP9632)

I am not a huge fan of the Calf plugins particularly their EQ, but it is at least a semi-full suite of plugins and a good thing to have around, especially now that some of the threading issues in it are being addressed. But for EQs I will look at Harrison and LinuxDSP hands down.

Seablade

I forgot to add LinuxDSP plugins to my list. Not only good sound but completely trouble free in operation.
I’ve not used Harrison or Calf enough to be able to comment on them.

You do realize that the plugin settings not being saved is because you are using the free version right? They are saved fine in the full version, and the rc and nightlies of Ardour run great on OS X in my experience. Not trying to dissuade you from Linux, but in your situation I suspect strongly that a paid version of Ardour would be the best route for you.

Actually, I was a bit unclear about that. On https://ardour.org/whatsnew.html it says that

Once again, the OS X release situation has still not improved, though a demo 64 bit copy of this version is available (fully featured except that is has does no saving or restoring of plugin settings, and no plugin presets).

Is there a version of Ardour 3.x for OSX that allows plugin settings to be saved?

Cheers!

The link for the comment above should be:

https://ardour.org/whatsnew.html

cpsmusic: you want a nightly build of 4.0rcX from nightly.ardour.org

Thanks, I’ll try a nightly build.

@cpsmusic

Note a free nightly build will still have that restriction. The nightly builds for subscribers will not.

Seablade

Actually nevermind, I forgot that was recently changed so that now it goes silent after X minutes instead, my mistake.

Seablade

Just a minor point: The linuxdsp plugins which were recommended are now at OvertoneDSP ( http://www.overtonedsp.co.uk ), and the currently available plugins are available for Linux, Windows, and Mac (in both VST and AU versions). With those plugins you can move sessions between Mac and Linux without losing your plugins (perhaps only if you use the Mac VST versions, I haven’t tried it to know where the compatibility limits are).