Save troubles

Hello
I just start using Ardour 4.0. Very nice work, i like it :).

At the end of afternoon, i saved my session as usual and now i cant open it.

Here is the error message in the terminal:

liblrdf: error - - XML I/O error: Is a directory
liblrdf: error - - XML parser error: Document is empty
liblrdf: error - - XML parser error: Start tag expected, ‘<’ not found
erreur de programmation : SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Locations @ 0x2d61200
erreur de programmation : SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::Butler @ 0x2ce46f0
erreur de programmation : SessionHandleRef exists across session deletion! Dynamic type: ARDOUR::RouteGroup @ 0x2d77200

Is there a way to know what is wrong in the save file plse?

Open up the xlm in an editor that will show formatting errors in xml documents.

ardour had a bug ayear or so ago that a crash would corrupt the session file by making a tiny change that made a formatting error.

I managed to locate the error and correct it to get the session back.

though if its not easy, you might want to post in the bug reports or jump on the ardour irc and have some look at the session file if its not obvious

liblrdf: error - - XML I/O error

Those come from a LADSPA plugin (LRDF is ladspa cache). some people have reported this in the past, but nobody has yet volunteered to find the plugin in question. The good news: It’s not ardour’s session file itself that’s corrupt :slight_smile:

The SessionHandleRef errors can be ignored (they’re memory leaks: ardour does not clean up the session, likley a follow up error here, session does not load correctly in the first place); as for why this is… that’s a different question…

I bet it’s some plugin used in the specific session, try to start ardour with Ardour4 --disable-plugins

Thanks for your answer. i will try without plugins.

as i suspected, i dont have any ladspa plugins in my session. and i still have the same error with --disable-plugins.
I have check the xml integrity visualy with my editor and i didn’t see anything wrong.
here is my .ardour file, maybe you will see something: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cslnqkzcdpder3y/changer.ardour?dl=0

The RDF is from the plugin cache (available to all sessions). Anyway the issue here might be to be due to a failed rename.

The session is called “chena” (not “changer”) see the 2nd line in the XML.

It loads fine here: mkdir /tmp/chena/; mv DownLoadedFile.ardour /tmp/chena/chena.ardour; Ardour4 /tmp/chena/chena.ardour # and ‘skip missing files’

use Menu > Session > Rename to rename the session

Many Thanks x42, you are right. Changing file’s name make it working. :slight_smile: