MIDI In Ardour 4 Windows

I’m new to Ardour and ;m pretty impressed with the program.
It will be a on the road replacement for Cubase.

Need to find a way to get Kontack 5 or ? some VST midi inst to load in and play.
Also once I do is there a MIDI editor in A4 ?

Thanks

Terry

They should load fine in Ardour, you just may need to tell it to rescan your plugins in the plugin editor.

Seablade

Kontak 5 shows up but with 64 audio out it is only going to 2 audio out so it it gives and error message
that it is incompatible the other MDA Piano won’t show up and the Real Guitar and Real Strat won’t show up either

Perfect, these are the types of reports that are needed on Windows, I would suggest filing a bug report on tracker.ardour.org so that a developer might be able to look at it and possibly address it. Make sure to describe not only what you are doing, but what your expected result is and what you are actually seeing.

Seablade

Please note that we are NOT supporting Windows at this time, so please dampen expectations about developer resources being applied to this problem. I’m not saying that nobody will look into it - they might - but please don’t imagine that we have the resources to follow up on Windows issues at this time.

Allright.

With Ardour 5 now being supported in Windows, can anyone tell me how to connect an USB/MIDI keyboard to Ardour ?

It works fine with Synthesia, and ZynaddsubFX free software.
In ZynaddsubFX, you have to go to File/Settings…/Main settings, and then, choose the entry “Midi In Dev” under “Windows”.
As a VST plugin, nothing appears, so I don’t how to proceed.

I try to connect the usb/midi keyboard directly from Jack, but the only way to activate MIDI option is to choose ALSA plugin, which doesn’t run with Windows (Ardour crashes).

So I try to connect with the settings/audio option before opening Ardour, but it won’t run.

So I try to connect it in the MIDI settings window in Ardour, but I don’t understand anything (I’m not a MIDI expert).

I just come from the Windows Forum, but there is no answer at this point.

Thanks.

E-Gwen.

Easiest is to not use jack, but the PortAudio/ASIO which has direct support for WinMME.
When Ardour launches select “Audio System: PortAudio (default)” and at the bottom of the dialog, you can select Midi System.

Or later: Menu > Window > Audio/Midi setup

Hi x42,

your answer is a quiet little strange.

Jack is recommanded to use with Ardour, but no longer necessary since 4th version.

It seems you don’t use Windows version of Ardour, because if there was the case, you never advise me to do like you told me to do.

1. Why not to try connecting with Jack ? It seems to me the natural way.

2. When you select PortAudio by default, and select the MIDI configuration, Ardour 5 32 Bit just crash when using Windows XP.

3. Of course I try to connect with Generic MIDI Settings in Ardour 5, but it seems really complicated.
    If you had read my message, you knew i expected a more precise answer.

I simply try again with your advices, but I realize your answer is not serious.
So please, don’t make me waste my time.

Fot those who want to go further, a video gives an answer, although it is not running with Windows :

It gives us the way to connect in MIDI.
For example, my keyboard (MIDI PLUS Jr.) is not recognized by Jack.
So, maybe it is just a question of driver included or not in Jack.

I’ll test other ways to get connect in MIDI.

Have a nice day.

E-Gwen.

E-Gwen: x42 is one the primary developers of Ardour. This response is quite rude given that x42 was just trying to provide you with hints. Reacting like this to someone who has contributed an unbelievable amount of work to this project, most of it without being paid, is incredibly disrespectful.

We have made it as clear as we can that although general use of Ardour on Windows will be supported, we do NOT support installation issues, or audio hardware issues, or system-specific issues.

People may try to offer you advice, as x42 did. When it gets thrown it back in their faces, it just reinforces the sense that Windows users are hard to support without us having enough revenue to have paid support staff (we barely make enough to pay 1 developer at present).

Information-free remarks like “Ardour 5 32 bit just crash when using WIndows XP” are also not useful in helping us to help you. Do you think that nobody has ever run Ardour 5 on a 32 bit Windows XP system before?

We would like to see Ardour working for you (and others), but this sort of response to an attempt at help is not going to help.

And for the record “connecting with JACK” is absolutely NOT the “natural way”, on any platform that Ardour runs on.

To Paul :
I admit my response is little discurteous, but I’m not supposed to know who is x42.

I’m sorry, but the given answers lead to nowhere. So what I’m supposed to do, or to write ?

To encourage answers that help in no case ? I’m not sure you and your visitors want to read unefficient posts.

Well, me too, I work hard for no money most of time, and I personaly answer to everybody acting the wrong way with me.

So, I apologize if I hurt someone, but recognize my answer is not very evil neither.

To try to go further :
as you say :
“Information-free remarks like “Ardour 5 32 bit just crash when using WIndows XP” are also not useful in helping us to help you”, well, I guess, but I can’t give another answer : it’s the case, and I simply do not know what to do anyway.
It’s true for all the software I try with Windows, and for example, when Ocenaudio (an Audio Editor) crashes, all I know to do is to send an e-mail to the developers, because it is the solution they give to me.
Sorry, I’m not a developer.

To anwser to your question : "Do you think that nobody has ever run Ardour 5 on a 32 bit Windows XP system before? "
No, but let me know, is your question not a little rude ? That is not the point.

“it just reinforces the sense that Windows users are hard to support…”
Well, you’ll be surprised, but I learn from Linux community users my spirit. That’s how I came to Ardour !
Most of Windows and MacOS musicians who use their computer don’t know Ardour, thing that I regret.

“this sort of response to an attempt at help is not going to help.” :
Well, I always give a anwser to the problem I notice, in time, when I find it, and I’m very happy to share it.
Can’t you give me some to bring a solution, that should please the “others” ? (I guess you didn’t write Ardour only for me, i’m very surprised by your hidden meaning ; i find it very pointless).

“And for the record “connecting with JACK” is absolutely NOT the “natural way”, on any platform that Ardour runs on.”
Should i let you know once again that I just say “It seems TO ME the natural way.”.
I never pretend all the others have to act as i when using Ardour.

So please, Paul, reconsider my position.

I just wanted to improve the Windows Forum, to make Ardour better if it’s possible, software which is very powerfull, as I discover it. But there are some bugs. Is it so hard to learn about this ?
So I wish long life and good health to Ardour, and good continuation to everybody involved in that DAW.

Rest assured of my best regards.

E-Gwen.