Cant Create Session

Hi,

I just installed ardour4 (4.0.111+r12804 ) and am facing problem creating a session.

the message box states “Could not create a session in /home/user/a”

This is the output from terminal.

prem-dell:~$ ardour4
WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs
out of memory. You can view the memory limit with ‘ulimit -l’, and it
is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf
bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour4] to /usr/share/ardour4/locale
Ardour4.0.111+r12804 (built using 4.0.111+r12804.21 and GCC version 4.8.4)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096 open files
ardour: [WARNING]: Illegal value loaded for N6ARDOUR16AutoReturnTargetE (15) - LastLocate used instead
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /etc/ardour4/system_config
Loading user configuration file /home/prem/.config/ardour4/config
Using SSE optimized routines
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /etc/ardour4/default_ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading user ui configuration file /home/prem/.config/ardour4/ui_config
ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /etc/ardour4/dark.colors
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour4/clearlooks.rc
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour4/clearlooks.rc
Cannot lock down 82274202 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Cannot lock down 82274202 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Found nothing along /home/prem/.config/ardour4/
run dialog

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory! This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs out of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and it is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

This needs to be addressed.

paul: I don’t mean to hijack the OP’s thread with this tangent, but I’ve been meaning to ask about this particular message for some time. The computers I’ve been using lately for Ardour have 8-16 GiB of RAM and are configured to allow locking at least 4 GiB. I’ve figured that should be more than plenty – when I’ve looked, Ardour’s size has been no more than 10% of that, but then my projects don’t tend to be huge – and I wouldn’t normally choose to allow a single process to lock all of the machine’s physical memory, if you see what I mean. Am I misunderstanding anything there? As far as I remember, I’ve never seen any error messages or crashes indicating that Ardour couldn’t actually lock enough RAM when it needed to. Is the warning message printed simply because the limit is set to something less than infinite, or does Ardour really need to lock that much memory?

Perhaps you guys should look at this page: http://jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html
Particularly this part: @realtime - memlock unlimited

@Lexridge Thanks - I’ve seen that page before, although it’s been a while.

So I guess my question (again, with apologies to the OP) is whether setting memlock to “unlimited” is strictly required, as stated there, or whether the intent is that it needs to be large enough to allow JACK, Ardour, and any other processes running with the realtime GID to keep their time-critical stuff in RAM. Perhaps it’s easier to specify “unlimited” than it is to quantify “large enough”…? If this is a JACK requirement, I realize my question might be more appropriate for a JACK mailing list – however I asked it here because it’s Ardour that displays the warning (along with a dialog).

On my “audio machine” with 16 GB of RAM I set memlock = 8GB, and ardour4.1 works fine (as did 3.5 and 4.0).
“Cannot lock down 82274202 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)”
But look at this message: if I’m not wrong ardour can’t allocate and lock even 82MByte of RAM, so maybe you have a very little memlock setting.